Thursday, October 11, 2012

Doctors Appointments and Perspective

Our appointments last week with Dr. B and Dr. U both went well! 
Christian and I got to watch John and Sam move around on the ultrasound and both boys had great heart rates and are growing.  Sam weighed about 2 lbs 5 oz and is measuring a few days larger than his due date. John weighed around 2 lbs and even his tiny arm and leg bones have grown a little.  Dr. B pointed out that John's left lung has developed slightly but not enough to change his prognosis or to support breathing on his own. Dr. U says my belly is measuring over 35 cm already and usually women start contracting around 40 cms.  Both doctors think I'll be measuring 40 cm by 32 weeks and at that point I may be on bed rest or more medications but as of right now, everything looks good!

I'm 28 weeks 4 days pregnant, have gained 19 lbs, my anemia is getting better and I haven't had any additional 'false alarms.' These are all blessings that I can praise the Lord for! Your prayers for good doctors appointments are working! :)

I met with our church last week to go over possible funeral arrangements and service plans. This meeting was peaceful and not as painful as I thought it would be.  I felt a warmness while I was there. It was the same tender feeling women get when they come across a really fluffy and soft baby blanket in a store.  You don't intend to buy it but you run your hand over it and you can't help but smile at how sweet it is. Well, I left the church feeling this warmth and sweetness. I even caught myself smiling in the rear view mirror as I pulled out of the parking lot.  It doesn't make sense to me even as I type this but it's the truth, I wasn't the crying mess I thought I'd be. I felt comforted and held.  I read the below scripture this week and I think this is the explanation for the peace I felt:

Isaiah 43: 2-3
When you go through deep waters,
    I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty,
    you will not drown.
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
    you will not be burned up;
    the flames will not consume you.
For I am the Lord, your God,
    the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.

I've been thinking about perspective recently and how just looking at a situation from a different point of view can totally change your attitude.  I came across this story on a blog I follow:
While we were leaving Chuck-e-Cheese, the only place McRae, my youngest daughter, ever picks for our daddy/daughter dates, we heard a police siren. Into the dark fall night the blue lights of a cop car sped by. In the backseat, I heard McRae sigh and say,
“Ohhhh, I love that sound.” That’s a strange thing for a six year old to say, so I asked her why? Without missing a beat she said, “Because that’s the sound of someone getting rescued.”
Isn't that a beautiful way to think of something that normally makes you panic? I also read on a friend's Facebook status, "What if every time you said, "I have to" you said instead, "I get to!" How would that change your outlook?"

Of course, this is not always easy to do but I am going to do my best to think this way as much as I can. 

Thank you for your prayers!
Love, Krystle

2 comments:

  1. It is amazing the perspective we can gain from our children. Even those as small as John. I am so grateful for my son's life. Even though it was way too short. I am thankful God let me carry him for 9 months. His life changed mine so much. and I GET to spend all eternity with him.

    ReplyDelete