Friday, November 9, 2012

32 weeks, 4 days!

Your prayers are working friends! It's been over a week since my last post and these babies are still in my belly, praise God! I see Dr. B and Dr. U weekly now and both of our appointments this week went well.  Lene' went with me to Dr. B's on Monday and we watched as they measured Sam and John.  Sam looks wonderful and is practicing breathing, which is a great sign! He weighs about 4 lbs and had both of his fists up against his face so we could not get a good profile picture.  John's heartbeat was strong and he was moving around a lot.  It's hard for them to get a good estimate on how much he weighs because weight is estimated by arm & leg lengths and head & belly circumference.  His arms and legs measure 16-17 weeks, his head measures 35 weeks and his belly measures 32 weeks so the formulas are off but Dr. B assumes he weighs around 3 lbs. His heart is now taking up more than 70% of his tiny chest and he is not practicing breathing, as expected. We did get to see his tiny hands and I enjoyed that. Dr. B and Dr. U both say that each day I stay pregnant takes about 3 days off of Sam's NICU stay, so everyday is a victory and praise.  All of the prayers, bed rest and medicines are working and they both think I could make it to 34 weeks/November 19th but I haven't given up on Dec. 3rd!

Speaking of bed rest, I am so blessed to have my mom and Lene' close by.  My mom comes over every morning before Christian leaves for work and stays with me and Maggie until he gets home.  She entertains Maggie, anticipates my every need, drives me to appointments, cleans my house and buys groceries. Besides taking care of all the daily stuff, she is also here to hold me when I'm sad.  I don't think there is any substitute for your mom's arms when you are crying, especially when those arms hug as well as Laura Kirchmeyer's!  I do not know what we would do without her and I hope I'm half the mom that she is. Lene' is mini-mom and fills in wherever we need her. She is up all hours of the night so when I can't sleep, or I'm having contractions at 3am, I'm able to talk to her. She is hilarious when I need to laugh and comforting when I'm upset. When I ask her opinion on something she really thinks about it, researches it and comes back with a thoughtful response. I hope everyone has a friend or sibling like that in their life.

I have so much to be thankful for so I feel guilty for the sadness I've been feeling this week. The steroid shots and the anti-contraction medicine make me feel jittery, anxious and like I'm having a panic attack so I'm sure that has made it worse.  I'm having a hard time thinking about when John physically leaves us.  I don't know how I call a nurse to come take my baby from me.  How do I decide when I've held him long enough? And how do I sleep in a hospital knowing that my baby is in some cold dark place all alone in the same building?  My head tells me that he will no longer be there. I know he will be in Paradise experiencing so much joy and love but I go crazy thinking about him being alone.  I've read that it's easier for some moms to have their baby go straight from their arms to the funeral home. I think I've decided on this but then I change my mind.  I don't know how you make these decisions. I've been praying for discernment but so far I just feel like there are only bad choices.  I've also been sad thinking about Sam being in the NICU.  If he is, I won't be able to see him for 12 hours or more after having a c-section.  I feel silly admitting that. I know there are so much more important things than worrying about not being with him right away. I know Sam won't be alone and a family member will be with him. I am thankful that my doctors say that Sam should be perfectly healthy after a brief NICU stay, if any. I try to focus on that but this week I just keep fearing that I'll be leaving the hospital without either of my babies and it makes my heart hurt. I've known this is the case all along but this week it is occupying my thoughts. 

I haven't been as intentional in my bible study and quiet time this week. I believe the majority of this sadness and worry is the result.  I have spent hours thinking and praying but not hearing what the Lord has to say to me through His word. I know only the Great Physician can heal my heart and give me the comfort I need. I plan on spending time in His word this weekend.

Thank you for your prayers for my family.
Love, Krystle

4 comments:

  1. What a blessing your mom & Lene' are! I know your mom is a strong woman and like you said, there is nothing like a mom being by your side and giving hugs only a mom can give her child! I'm so glad you got to see your babies this week, each picture of them you see is a great memory for you to cherish. I'm glad to hear your body is hanging in there and holding those boys in. I'm praying for Dec. 3rd too for you and I know if it's in God will, then it's gonna happen:) There is another blog I'd like to share with you that I ran across a few years ago. This is an AMAZING couple and their story is so heartfelt and heavy. This was their first child and this happened so suddenly for them. When you're ready, please check out their son's blog page that was made in remembrance of him! They found amazing strength & comfort in the Lord at such a time when I know their life felt like it was falling apart. Its http://www.babymckallister.blogspot.com/ Please take your time and pray before going to this blog because it's very emotional and even for me.....I had every emotion running thru me and I had to get on my knees and bow before the Lord in prayer & thanksgiving. I pray you find some comfort & peace from this blog. Praying daily for you Krystle & your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you sweet angel! I am a nocturnal professional laughtivist, so I'm always up for a good hand sanitizer fight when you need a laugh. jk Thank you for letting me care for you and Christian. It brings me a little (smidge) of peace knowing I can help you. Thank you for being you. I'm lucky to have a friend and sibling like that in my life too. However, this sibling is a true fighter and protector of my needs always. My soul. Your strength and courage inspire us all in the Rashid household.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LaWanna, thank you for your prayers and for sharing the blog with me! I read it and their family will be in my prayers! I have tremendous peace and joy today and I know it is because of the sweet prayers of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You inspire all of us, and you wouldn't be human if you didn't have these "negative" feelings... Jesus did, too, as you've alluded to in the past. Although, Lene' shared with me your Granny's take on things (about staying strong)... you no doubt are surrounded by a throng of very strong and loving women! Such a blessing!

    Thank you for continuing to share with all of us. I've missed your updates and have been waiting for a new one. I'm going to be praying for you specifically about all those thoughts and decisions that creep up. I'll also pray that you have PEACE of MIND even if and when your body and heart are weary and stressed. Hug those boys for all of us who are hoping for the very best in these coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete